How to DRESS LIKE A PRO in your
MARCHING BAND UNIFORM
Did you know your marching uniform is worth $585.00? Be respectful of it, and don't eat while wearing it, please.
Here are some important DO’S and DON’TS for wearing your uniform:
Ø DO wear high solid black socks (at least mid-shin in height and no colored logos).
Ø DO wear tight-fitting shorts (e.g., compression or bike shorts) or leggings (black if they are longer than your knees) under your bibbers. Feel free to wear baggy shorts or pants over your compression shorts while traveling, but there is only room for compression shorts under the slim-fitting uniform pants.
Ø DO wear your band t-shirt under your marching coat.
Ø DO remember that all marchers change into their uniforms together (men and women) in the girls’ dressing room prior to performances. Because of this, it is very important that you arrive in the dressing room wearing your athletic shorts and band t-shirt under your street clothes. Parent volunteers will be in the dressing room to assist with dressing.
Ø DON’T touch your plume with bare hands. Plumes will be handed out and collected by a parent volunteer (wearing gloves) immediately prior to taking the field, and immediately after leaving the field.
Ø DO tie long hair into a bun or ponytail and fit it securely under the shako. Bring extra hair bands and bobby pins and allow extra time before each performance.
Ø DO hang your uniform properly on the racks after performances. Fold pants along the crease before placing on your hanger (labeled with your name). Drape your jacket over the hanger, zipped and buttoned.
Ø DO store the following items in your red bag after each performance:
o Black socks
o Hair ties
Ø DON’T eat while wearing your uniform. Let’s keep them looking good as long as we can!
Every member of the GCM Marching Band will be fitted for and assigned a uniform to be used for the year. Uniforms are stored at school at all times, with the exception of shoes, which are taken home at the end of the season. Uniforms are worn for home football games, competitions, parades and assessment. Colorguard wears different costumes, which are handled separately from marching uniforms.
The marching uniform includes:
Items provided by the school:
- Ø Coat
- Ø Bibbers (pants)
- Ø Shako (hat) and plume (plumes distributed at performance) (note: shakos are not worn by the sousaphone section and front ensemble)
- Ø Beret – worn by the sousaphone section only
- Ø Gloves – (note: gloves are not worn by the front ensemble)
- Ø Band t-shirt – worn under the coat
Items provided by students (may be stored at school during marching season):
- Ø Tight fitting shorts (e.g., compression shorts or athletic shorts) – worn under the bibbers
- Ø Long black socks – at least shin height
- Ø In addition to the uniform items above, marchers are required to purchase a pair of black marching band shoes, which will be stored at school throughout marching season. You will be fitted for shoes during your measuring/fitting night. The school will be responsible for ordering your shoes, but marchers will be required to pay for them separately. Returning marchers have the option of reusing their shoes from the previous season, or purchasing new shoes. Shoes are owned by the marchers and are taken home at the end of the season. Marching shoes must be worn for every marching band performance. You must also wear long black socks, which you must provide. Socks should come at least halfway up the shin.
Uniform Measuring and Fitting:
The Marching Band does not order new uniforms each season (however, new shoes and gloves are ordered each year). We reuse the same uniforms for as many years as possible. Our uniform parent volunteers make every effort to find the best fit possible for each marcher, given the limited number of uniforms and sizes available. A series of Measuring and Fitting Nights are scheduled for 3-4 evenings during the weeks of marching band camp in August. Marchers are fitted for their coat, bibbers, shako, shoes and gloves. Returning marchers just need to try on their old uniforms and shoes to check for any needed adjustments.
Measuring/Fitting Nights are scheduled for:
- Ø Friday (8/9/19) 6:30-9:00 pm – Returning Marchers
- Ø Wednesday (8/14/19) 6:30-8:00 pm – Measuring Night for Freshman and All Students New to Marching
- Ø Thursday (8/15/19) 6:30-9:00 pm – Juniors/Seniors Fitting Night
- Ø Thursday (8/22/19) – 6:30-9:00 pm – Freshman/Sophomores Fitting Night
Items covered by your marching band fees:
- Ø Coat, bibbers, shako/plume/beret, gloves, band t-shirt
Items that marchers are required to pay for separately:
- Ø Black socks and athletic shorts
Shoes: **Note: pricing is not finalized yet ** Shoe charges are posted on your Charms account.
- Ø New shoes - about $32.00
- Ø New shoes (if you trade in your old ones) - $15.00
- Ø Used shoes (if available) - about $15.00